The closest major airport is Bismark, North Dakota, there are smaller airports at Dickinson & Williston, ND.
From the North
1. Take Highway 85 South to the North Unit of the park.
2. Take Highway 85 South to I-94 West and the South Unit of the park.
From the East
1. Take I-94 West to the South Unit of the park.
2. Take I-94 West to Highway 85 North to the North Unit of the park.
From the South
1. Take I-29 North to I-94 West to the South Unit of the park.
2. Take I-29 North to I-94 West to Highway 85 North to the North Unit of the park.
From the West
1. Take I-94 East to the South Unit of the park.
2. Take I-94 East to Highway 85 North to the North Unit of the park.
The North and South units are in western North Dakota. The North Unit Visitor Center is located 16 miles south of Watford City along Highway 85. The South Unit Visitor Center is located in Medora, just off I-94 and is 135 miles west of Bismarck, North Dakota. The Painted Canyon Visitor Center is located seven miles east of Medora just off I-94. The distance between Medora at the South Unit and the visitor center in the North Unit is 70 miles via I-94 and Highway 85.
Passenger vehicle is the main mode of transportation. Air service into North Dakota towns of Bismarck, Dickinson and Williston. Bus transportation along I-94. Train service into Williston, North Dakota.
Personal vehicles, bicycles and charter bus.
Activities & Calendar
Address, Email & Phone
Amphibians & Reptile List
Basic Visit Recommendations
Brochures, Maps, Written Info
Common Plant List
DeMores States Historic Site
Jobs, SCA, Volunteer Positions
Junior Ranger Programs
Maltese Cross Cabin
Natural History Page
North Dakota Badlands
Size & Visitation
Skiing & Snowshoeing
Winter Hiking & Camping
Copyright © 1995 - 2007 Hillclimb Media
This site is in no way associated with the United States Government, the Department of the Interior or the National Park Service